There was a time when the echo effect was made using magnetic tapes, and among the many units that the industry brought to the market, one model shone above all:
the Space Echo RE-201. This was by far one of the most used and still today is one of the most sought after tape echo units ever made.
The new GS-201 Mark II is the evolution of a project we started back in 2007 with the release of the old version of GS-201. The purpose is to capture the magic of the Space Echo and make it available to all, right there, into the computer. Not an easy task, but the experience we gained during the last 10 years in audio DSP development has helped us reach a result that sometimes can fool even ourselves.
- Adjustable tape length from 1 meter to 4 meters
- Adjustable quality for all heads, including erase and write heads
- Adjustable Azimuth alignment for all heads
- Host Tempo synchronization with 16 divisions
- Stereo option with adjustable width (delay between channels)
- Adjustable noises (hiss & hum)
- Adjustable motor lag time
- Adjustable tape quality and loop junction
- RE-501 BBD Chorus
- RE-501 Sound-on-sound pickup head (4th head)
- Authentic “Folded Line” Spring Reverb emulation
- Built-in programmer with 128 Programs
- Import/export of Programs and Banks
- Built-in MIDI Learn function with import/export of custom Midi maps
- Adjustable output level
- Integrated help with tool-tips and readout displays
GS-201 Mark II is available in the following formats:
– for Windows: VST2 x64, VST3 x64, Standalone x64
– for OSX: VST2 x64, VST3 x64, Audio Unit x64, Standalone x64
– any Windows computer manufactured after 2010 running Windows 7 x64 or higher
– ASIO compatible sound card for low latency performance
– OSX version 10.11 or newer
GS-201 Mark II has a separate editing page that makes it possible to tweak and adjust each single aspect of the electronic and mechanic structure of the effect unit, from the circuitry characteristics to the
noises and imperfections caused by the tape transport.
There you find parameters such as Tape Quality
and Tape Junction
that let you decide wether you're playing a good quality tape and a well made tape loop; also, you can adjust quality and azimuth alignment
for all heads.
Plus, GS-201 Mark II can also simulate Space Echo's big brother, the Chorus Echo RE-501. It adds the fourth "Sound-on-sound"
pickup-head as well as the BBD Chorus
. And for a final touch,
the new GS-201 Mark II also includes two features that take advantage of the digital world: stereo operation and host tempo synchronization.
Demo with speech.